A Simple Way to Clean Water
The Science Behind P&G Water Packet Technology
The P&G water purification packet is an amazing innovation that quickly turns 10 liters of dirty, potentially deadly water into clean and drinkable water.
Created to enable people anywhere in the world to purify dirty water in a simple, affordable and convenient way, the packet is based on technology similar to municipal water systems in developed countries. The water purification packet was developed by P&G in collaboration with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
See the Technology in Action
The water purification packet is a powdered mixture that removes pathogenic microorganisms and suspended matter, making previously contaminated water clean.
- Proven to eliminate disease causing microorganisms.
- Removes more than 99.99999% of common waterborne bacteria (including those that cause cholera), 99.99% of common waterborne viruses (including those that cause hepatitis A) and 99.9% of protozoa.
- Proven to reduce diarrheal disease incidence in the developing world by up to 90%.
- Removes dirt and other pollutants.
- Can be used to make clean drinking water for the entire family, including infants, and is considered an effective technology by the World Health Organization.
Global emergency relief organizations, such as AmeriCares, CARE, IFRC, PSI, Save the Children and World Vision, have provided clean drinking water using the P&G packets since 2004.
See facts and figures about the effects of drinking contaminated water and learn the benefits of successful water treatment in recent scientific studies.